deep in thought season II: video analysis

Hi, guys again I just got some new inspiration. 

You know the videos the year 4 ma'ams have been sending us through the VVK chat? Yea although we have discussed before, I feel like saying it again. Some of our ma'ams are really good actresses, and their video carries a very important message(teenage depression due to academics).

I was really moved by their video. However, I feel that ma'am ---(random hyphens..) video was even more moving, I don't know why, I guess its because of the coughing-up-blood-and-being-admitted-into-hospital-part? i guess it's also because of the narrations in between. What made it even worse was the fact that even though her dad could see her health deteriorate over time, he still continued smoking.(of course all this is in the video only). 

It was really saddening, that the hard truth is that people smoke to 'destress', but in reality, they are doing more harm to themselves and the people around them. Like in the video's case, although the dad has been smoking for about 8 years, his health has not really been affected yet. however, the second hand smoke produced by his cigarettes has impacted the daughter who he loves and cares for dearly. 

The video's purpose is to deter people with misconceptions about smoking from continuing to smoke, and damage themselves and their loved ones, but in today's society, many promise to quit smoking for the sake of their family and friends, but few people achieve their target. It takes a lot of determination, perseverance and willpower to break the habit and addiction to smoking. 

Sadly, in majority of cases, people say "this will be the last cigarette I smoke in my life. For the sake of my loved ones, I will stop smoking," they end up going back on their words. Their excuse/reason for smoking is usually 'I don't know', as in the video, or 'I'm stressed/tired'. the message of this video is very clear: please stop smoking. smoking is an issue in the society. it is not that people are not aware of the negative impacts of smoking, it is that people are under the impression that smoking relieves stress. 

Actually, the messages the two videos mentioned are equally important, just that smoking is the more well known topic in Singapore. Ok enough of video analysis. I have never thought about something in such detail before. This is like Literature, now that I think of it. Mrs Daniel will be proud. I should seriously change the title to video analysis. ok whenever I see ppl smoking nowadays, I feel really really scared. This is called after the video syndrome. haiz. I'm really scared now. 

Whenever I see ma'am ---(random hyphens...) in school, I think of the video. Aish. and when I see ma'am --- and ma'am---, I think of their video too. once, there were 3 uncles smoking at the playground when I was walking to the lift. I suddenly thought of ma'am --- and the depressing yet highly educational video. Haiz I was soooo scared.

Comments